Tuesday 30 October 2012

Flex Your Creative Muscles...


...every day!  It doesn't have to be anything spectacular.  These pretty things are cupcakes.  They look okay... they have white icing, with chocolate shapes (very Hallowe'en, all stars and moons), and it looks like they have a chocolate sponge base, which you can just see under bits of the icing. They have a secret ingredient, however.  Instead of making my normal chocolate cup cakes, I added a little ginger to the mix.  So...spicy chocolate cake.  I like chocolate ginger sweets, so I figure I'll like chocolate ginger cake. 

It's like anything, really.  You can stick to the recipe (or the pattern, or the rules...), or you can ask yourself, what if I just add...   and try it.  That's creativity!

ps for the bakers among us, these cakes are made using a basic Victoria sandwich mix, with the addition of a half teaspoonful of ginger (from a Bart jar, if you're in the UK, though any kind of preserved ginger, including ground, would be fine in its place).  Oh, and a lot of cocoa powder.  I'm from the school of baking that assumes that There Is No Such Thing As Too Much Chocolate...so I just tip the packet into the mix until it looks as if I've added nearly too much.  You have to practice that to get it right... dirty work, but someone has to do it, not to mention try the cake...

No comments: